There are two types of people in this world. Those who embrace Valentines Day and believe that it’s a day to show those special people in your life how much you love them and the rest who feel that Valentines Day is just another day and don’t feel the need to bother with all the hoopla.
My husband and I lean a little towards the latter, we are not romantics. We do not celebrate this day by going to dinner or buying expensive gifts for each other.
We may however, get each other a sweet card and some candy or an awesome gift like the one below.
For the most part, it has become a day where we get the kids some candy and maybe take them to lunch. Today it was a box of Hersheys kisses and lunch after church at McAlisters Deli, because we are fancy (and they have gluten free bread).
It seems to me that this holiday is always so much more of a big deal when you don’t have a significant other.
You know, when you are in college and you and your girlfriends go out to dinner at the neighborhood Chili’s and pretend to embrace your singleness while secretly praying you won’t end up bitter, lonely, old ladies.
I have to tell you though, I do remember my first real Valentine and I kept it after all these years. I was in the 5th grade. It was super awkward and I don’t even know if we ever spoke to each after the card was given. But, I remember feeling like I was pretty hot stuff.
Remember these simple Valentine cards we would receive as kids? Now, you have to have a Masters Degree in crafting in order to make a decent Valentine for your kids preschool class. I’ve seen these things on Pinterest and it makes me so happy that I homeschool.
For those of you who love Valentines Day, more power to ya! If done right, it can be a day to make someone feel really special. Everyone loves to feel special. In its own way, the gorilla coffee cup my husband gave me made me feel special. He was thinking about me, and isn’t that what it’s all about?
For those of you having trouble with love or wanting to find that special someone, here are a few Saints that can help you out.
1. Saint Valentine: the Patron Saint of love and marriage, as well as, the patron saint of beekeepers, epilepsy, fainting and the plague.
2. The Archangel Rapheal: you are are to pray to him in order to find your marriage partner.
3. Saint Joseph: he is the Patron Saint of family as well as craftsmen, house sellers, house buyers and fathers.
4. Saint Pracilla: the Patron Saint of good marriages.
5. Saints Louis and Zelie Martin: they are the parents of Saint Therese of Lisieux. They are the Patron Saints of marriage.
6. Saint Rita: Patron Saint of difficult marriages, parenthood and Impossible cases (I believe parenthood and impossible cases might be interchangeable.)
7. Saint Anne: the mother of Mary is the Patron Saint of marriage, mothers and women in labor.
Hope you all had a good day.
Happy Valentines Day! 💕